Google
 
Web Ben's Questions and Answers

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

French and Spanish Vocabulary Gender

Someone asked me if there are any words in French and Spanish which are different genders. I incorrectly answered that cat is different; la chat in French and el Gato in Spanish.

It seems that cat in French, chat, is actually masculine, i.e. le chat. la chat means "the chat" or "the informal conversation", I believe.

So I haven't found any examples of any words with opposite gender in Spanish and English but there may well be, I have hardly scraped the surface in terms of answering this question.

If you have any ideas then please leave a comment and if you have a question, which you'd like me to answer for free, then please send Ben Dash an email at ben.dash@gmail.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, "la chat" is French for pussy, as in the female genitalia. Using it to refer to an actually female cat would be unusual. It has nothing to do with conversation in any context.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home