Google
 
Web Ben's Questions and Answers

Friday, July 22, 2005

Lightning in a Blizzard

Someone asked me if it was possible to have lightning in a blizzard. My initial thought was that thunder and lightning would need a mix of warm and cold air that would not be compatible with snow formation. Having never heard of lightning in a blizzard I was intrigued and looked into it in a bit more depth.

It seems that there have been documented cases of thunder and lightning snow storms although they are quite unusual. If you do an internet search you'll probably run across some articles documenting the strange phenomenon. Have you ever experienced a blizzard that had lightning?

Thanks for the interesting question, if you have any comments please let me know and if you have any other questions which you'd like me to answer for free please send them to Ben Dash at ben.dash@gmail.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Wontar said...

I've seen lightning in a blizzard. In upstate New York a few years ago. A bit surreal, but very cool!

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had lightning in the blizzard last night in New York City. I am from Maine and have never seen it before... found it quite strange.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been in some very intense blizzards that produced very high amounts of snow fall and really crazy lightning with thunder. All of the storms that I’ve seen this in have been at night and makes for a very bizarre white-out condition, blinding at times.

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home