Google
 
Web Ben's Questions and Answers

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Right Justified Everything

Someone just asked me what they are doing that sometimes causes all their text in MS Notepad to become right justified and, more importantly, how do they change it back to being left justified?

What's actually happening is windows is being told, by certain hotkeys being pressed, to switch from the typical Western left-to-right text orientation to a right-to-left text orientation used in Arabic and Hebrew.

The shortcut keys that are doing this switch are:

CTRL + RightShift - right-to-left orientation

and

CTRL + LeftShift - left-to-right orientation

If you forget the key combination to switch back after you accidently get into right-to-left orientation don't worry. If you close the application down and restart it'll be back to the normal left-to-right orientation that you're familiar with.

There is a huge number of windows shortcuts and I agree that it can be very frustrating to accidently perform one and not know how to get back to the original state that you were in. If you have any comments please let me know and if you have any other questions which you'd like me to answer for free please send them to Ben Dash at ben.dash@gmail.com

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fix doesn't work with the abominable Vista

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!

4:10 AM  
Blogger Jake said...

Thanks! That helps a lot - this is the fourth time I've accidentally triggered a Windows hotkey combination, screwed things up, and had to hunt down the way to undo it online.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Tragerstreit said...

And even years after this post, it still helps someone new. Thanks very much!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for the help 4 years after you posted it.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Ben Dash said...

MS Windows - the gift the keeps on giving ;-)

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks - that fixed it

6:47 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Oddly enough. (years later I know)

It also reveres greater then and less then signs.

How strange is that.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Rodrigo Valentim said...

Man, it's June 2012 and you post is still helping. Thanks buddy

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you man... thank you thank you thank you....

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

September 2013 and it's still helping, thank you. Can't they pick keyboard shortcuts that I won't accidentally trigger???!!!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I was bamfloozled by that weird-looking page. Thanks to Google and you, I now have things back to normal. Bless you!

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Microsoft should really allow enable/disable exotic, little used hot key combinations based on the language the OS is using. Despite these hot key combinations existing like mines in the OS that tarnish user satisfaction, MS evidently sees no reason to fix this across generations of Windows. This is classic user unfriendliness in an OS that presumably aims to be user friendly, but of course, the MS engineers evidently have bigger fish to fry. And they wonder why Windows isn't universally loved. It's the little things that count, more than gimmicky "features" like transparent windows.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

March 12, 2016
Well isn't this amazing? 10 years later and this still helped me! Thank you!

12:16 AM  
Blogger Credit Loan Solution said...


My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home