Periodic Cyclic Cicadas
Someone just asked me a few more cicada questions:
1. What year will the cyclical cicada occur here in Illinois?
2. Do both the annual and the cyclical occur at the same time?
3. If the cyclical cicada egg takes 13/17 years to become a larva and
emerge, how long is the annual underground? Is it a year?
The answers are:
1. Broods III, XIII, XIX, and XXIII will emerge in 2014, 2007, 2011, and 2015 respectively.
2. The annual and periodic cicadas may coexist at the same time.
3. The annual cicada exists underground between 1 and 7 years.
If you have any comments please let me know and if you have any other questions which you'd like me to answer for free please send them to Ben Dash at firstname.lastname@example.org